Friday, August 29, 2014

Through sickness and in socks

When my husband and I were writing our vows for our wedding, we chose to keep the more traditional part that said "through sickness and in health." I had no idea I would be testing that particular vow just a few months after we made it.

On a recent Friday night, I was admitted to the hospital for appendicitis and had surgery to have my appendix removed. My husband had plans to go out with co-workers that evening, and he had an upcoming international trip that Saturday. Needless to say, he dropped all of that to take me to the hospital and figure out what was wrong with me.

It made a world of difference to have him by my side as we met nurse after nurse, the attending doctor, and finally the surgeon. I know there are many benefits to getting married, but this was one I hadn't really foreseen. He was able to take care of me in both practical and legal ways that a boyfriend couldn't. He signed papers, talked to nurses, and through my drug-induced haziness was able to answer questions for me. He also kept me honest when taking medication and doing a doctor-recommended breathing exercise.

After I was admitted to the hospital and given medicine for the pain, I began knitting. I wasn't really able to do much else than knit (other than cry, because having surgery is a scary thought). In the end, it wasn't that bad. It felt like I had done a million sit ups, and my whole abdomen ached.

The project that my husband brought to the hospital was a pair of green socks (pictured below). I bought the yarn for them almost two years ago and was forcing myself to finish them before starting any other project. This is a very real struggle for every knitter. I realized that I didn't have to make any complicated pattern, just use the stocking knit stitch and get them done. They're plain, but I'm happy with the way they turned out.


My husband did end up leaving for his business trip to Asia, at my insistence, after my successful surgery. While I was recovering, I stayed with my in-laws. Pictured below are the first pair of socks I made, which were given to my father-in-law for Christmas. I think they are lovely, but you can tell a novice made them. One big problem: I didn't knit the toes tight enough and skin was showing through. So I redid them, aka paid for my stay in knitting!


The following week, I worked from home. In between conference calls and document reviews, I used up the rest of the yarn making these short socks. I gave them to my mother-in-law as a thank you for taking care of me, once again paying for my stay in knitting!


And finally, I used some of the left over yarn from the sweater I made earlier this year and knit a hat. It took me all of a morning and I was super pleased with it.


I'm all healed up now, with a clean bill of health from the surgeon. It means all the world to me that we were able to live up to the vow we made on our wedding day. And I'm not sad that I was able to get some just-finished knit goods out of the process too. :)

PS from Mrs. Snacky: My knitting is a little rusty, so I like to find free patterns on yarn sites such as Lion Brand and Red Heart to guide me on projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment