Thursday, August 7, 2014

Supper time: Kale salad with lemon-maple dressing


Earlier in the summer, my family passed through a small town in New York where we stopped for lunch at a local restaurant. I ordered a super-healthy (and tasty) kale salad with lemon-maple dressing.

The salad was a nice break from the fast-food road trip meals I usually end up eating, and the dressing was bright and refreshing. When the owner stopped by our table to check on us, she confessed the dressing recipe was only two ingredients: fresh lemon juice and real maple syrup, in equal parts.

Since that lunch detour, I've made this dressing a handful of times, and every time I'm amazed it isn't world famous for its simplicity and adaptability. It's perfect on kale that's been lightly massaged with oil, then topped with avocado, almonds, strawberries and tomatoes (as pictured above), but it's also great on spinach salad. I think it'd pair well with shredded cabbage, grated carrots, raisins and pecans. Crumbled goat cheese would be a good addition to any of these, too.

So to reiterate:

For the dressing:

  • 1 part lemon juice 
  • 1 part maple syrup

Directions and tips: 

  • Combine lemon juice and maple syrup. Shake in a small container or stir in a bowl with a whisk. 
  • For two servings of kale salad (with roughly 1 cup of fresh, chopped kale per person),  I typically juice one lemon, see how much juice I've got, then add an equal amount of maple syrup.
  • Dress your salad with as much as you like. (It's a personal preference, so I'd hate to over-dress you. Or under-dress you. Or undress you. Like I said, it's personal.) I use roughly a tablespoon for myself on a small salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment