Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Ask an old married lady: What was your favorite part of your wedding day?



Our friend (we'll call her Mrs. Organized) tied the knot a few weeks ago, and at one point during the pre-wedding festivities, she asked her bridesmaids and relatives about their favorite parts of their weddings.

Mrs. Crafty's memories were fresh, but Mrs. Snacky had to dig into the memory bank to decide what she remembered best and most lovingly. We decided to ask a few friends and relatives about their own favorite wedding memories.

What better way to kick off a blog about Old Married Ladies than by celebrating the moment we became them?


Here's what our friends said:

Liz
Married for 1 month
Favorite memory: I loved the personalized touches like sharing some of our favorite New York treats with our guests, the creative toasts, and writing portions of our ceremony with my husband, but I will really never forget dancing with my wheelchair-bound grandmother who traveled from Virginia to New York for the wedding despite having a stroke a year ago.

Lauren 
Married for 2 years and 10 months
Favorite memory: Spending a weekend with everyone in my life all in one place! 

Andrea
Married for almost 7 years
Favorite memory: We planned the ceremony using a lot of traditional pre-Christian elements and wrote most of the vows. We also had a handfasting. It was very meaningful to us.

Mrs. Nostalgia
Married for 11 years
Favorite memory: During the ceremony, a ladybug landed on my veil (we were inside a church — no outside ceremony). It made me feel like we started our lives together with a little extra luck. (I adore ladybugs, by the way.) 

Mrs. Hurgurliebum
Married for 32 1/2 years
Favorite memory: When my dad told me he would have paid me $300 to elope.

And here's what we said: 

Mrs. Snacky 
Married for almost 6 years
Favorite memory: When we got to see each other shortly before the ceremony for photos, we both got hit with this awesome rush of love, excitement and jitters. It was awesome to ride that wave of adrenaline together as we took photos and walked down the aisle. 

Mrs. Crafty
Married for 2 months
Favorite memory: Walking down the aisle. My husband and I decided to walk down the aisle together. I was jittery as I came out of the house but as soon as I took his arm, I became totally comfortable and calm.


P.S. Have you heard about this documentary called 112 Weddings? It's made by a documentary filmmaker who did wedding videos on the side for decades, and he decided to follow up with nine of the couples whose weddings he'd filmed. The reviews are glowing, but we haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Top photo from the Library of Congress collection here // Middle photo from Mrs. Snacky's big day // Bottom photo from Mrs. Crafty's nuptials 

No comments:

Post a Comment